No one ever follows through on New Year’s resolutions. In fact, I’m willing to wager that any resolution ‘not to lie this year’ falls at the first hurdle. All the evidence points to the conclusion that all resolutions are lies.
No matter how manageable it seems we always fail. Well, make a resolution to make 2016 different (and try not to make it a lie). Here’s three steps to success this New Year:
Set yourself a goal. Make a plan. Stick with it.
Struggling for inspiration? Well, you may be a few days in but it’s never too late (February may be too late) to make one. Here are 101. A few may not be that relevant to you and quite a few might seem a bit mundane but that’s probably what you need.
So go on. Break the mould. Make a resolution and keep it!
New Year’s Resolutions Ideas To Choose From
1) Get paid for doing something you love.
2) Get your photo taken in five interesting places.
3) Break a world record.
4) Learn a language.
5) Don’t hang out with people you don’t like. There are 6 billion people in the world.
6) Make sure you see the sea before the year is out.
7) Learn a decent party trick.
8) Stop getting so drunk you forget things.
9) Make a new friend every month.
10) Learn something you wish you’d learned as a child.
11) Learn a musical instrument.
12) Try a new food each week.
13) Do a good deed every day.
14) Actually finish some of the resolutions you screwed up in the past.
15) Cook more.
16) Drink less.
17) Get more sleep.
18) Or if you are sleeping too much (of course you are), then sleep less.
19) Stop smoking.
20) Start exercising.
21) Read a newspaper everyday.
22) Make sure you never spend an entire day in the house.
23) Stop buying birthday and Christmas cards and make your own.
24) Train for and run a marathon.
25) Tell your crush that you like them.
26) Give up chocolate.
27) Don’t always default to going down the pub when socialising.
28) Stop moaning about things you don’t like and do something about them.
29) Grow a moustache.
31) Stop posting Facebook statuses no one cares about (see: daily facial hair updates).
32) Limit yourself to going on Facebook only before you go to bed.
33) Get Instagram.
34) Give up Instagram (for a while).
35) Get Twitter.
36) Leave Twitter.
37) Phone your mum more.
38) Be more awesome.
39) Say yes more.
40) Spin a globe, close your eyes, put your finger on it and go wherever it lands (hopefully on land) at some point this year.
41) Visit a World Heritage Site.
42) Stop throwing away food.
43) Work more.
44) Work less.
45) Do the same amount of work in half the time.
46) Stop throwing tantrums.
47) Earn more money.
48) Once you’ve got a job, move out and live independently.
49) Become independent.
50) Be funnier.
51) Be nicer.
52) Be better.
53) Don’t bitch about your friends.
54) Go on more creative dates than just a meal or the cinema.
55) Tip more often.
56) Turn Facebook push notifications off on your phone and don’t put them back on again.
57) Listen to different types of music.
58) Pay off your debts.
59) Actually read books on your reading list.
60) Do more for your parents.
61) Do something every month that you can add to your CV.
62) Stop being so annoying.
63) Stop biting your nails.
64) Climb a mountain.
65) Decide what you want to do in life.
66) Become comfortable with the fact that you don’t know what to do in life but do things to improve yourself and your CV anyway.
67) Write a novel.
68) Be an extra in a film.
69) Start watching more films from before your generation.
70) Start listening to more music from before your generation.
71) Start organising your time and following a work schedule.
72) Only promise to plan to do a manageable amount of exercise. That way you’re more likely to keep to it.
73) Stop pressing the snooze button.
74) Start saving a small percentage of your income.
75) Start a diary and write down your thoughts.
76) Start drinking tea instead of coffee.
77) Remember birthdays.
78) Take the occasional bath.
79) Write people letters more often.
80) Donate your unwanted stuff to charity shops.
81) Learn a new word every day.
82) Get a pet (that you can responsibly take care of).
83) Leave Europe for a week before the year finishes.
84) Procrastinate less.
85) Start doing yoga.
86) Get a new job.
87) Do something every month that scares you.
88) Trace your ancestry.
89) Always take the stairs.
90) Learn a new skill.
91) Start to earn money by doing something creative.
92) Start doing a form of work outside of your main studies or job.
93) Aim for a first instead of a 2:1.
94) Give money to a worthy cause every month.
95) Don’t make promises you can’t keep.
96) Be on time to everything.
97) Play a new sport.
98) Take a ‘before’ shot of yourself and then do something every week that works toward what you want your ‘after’ shot to look like.
99) Always say please and thank you. It’s the small things.
100) Under no circumstances listen to Chris Brown.
101) Think of better new years resolutions.